Privacy & Cookies
At Science in Sport we take the matter of visitor privacy very seriously. We see the effects of spam email every day in our inboxes and certainly don't wish any of our visitors. This is why any information we collect from you, either in the form of email sent to us or purchasing information will be protected. By entering a competition or downloading one of our eBooks, we may occasionally share this data with our 3rd party content collaborators or competition partners. We will always ask your permission and give you a clear option to opt out. We do not sell data.
For the purposes of this policy data protection law means: (i) until 25 May 2018 the Data Protection Act 1998 and then (ii) from 25 May 2018 and unless and until it is no longer directly applicable in the UK, the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR) and any national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation, as amended or updated from time to time, in the UK and then (iii) any successor legislation to the GDPR or the Data Protection Act 1998.
We will comply with data protection law. Personal information we hold about you will be:
- •Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- •Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- •Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- •Accurate and kept up to date.
- •Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- •Kept securely.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- •Information you give us. You may give us information when you contact us, register to use our site at www.scienceinsport.com, place an order, enter a competition, promotion or survey, and when you report a problem. This may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, sport preference and marketing preferences.
- •Information we collect about you. When you visit our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- •technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, and browser information;
- •information about your visit to the site including traffic data, location data, web logs and other communication data,. For a list of cookies we collect please click here
- •Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you from third parties (including business partners providing technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks and analytics).
How will we use your personal information?
We may use your information:
- •to process your orders and manage your account
- •to communicate with you about our products and promotions
- •to monitor purchase history, site use and traffic patterns to improve our site design and products
- •to allow you to participate in interactive features of our site
- •to personalise your repeat visits to our site
- •to contact you about leaving a review once your order has been completed
- •to verify your identity
- •to enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf
- •to prevent and detect fraud or abuses of our site
- •where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute)
- •We may also contact you regarding similar products via email or SMS. To unsubscribe please contact our customer service department here
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
What are your rights?
Right of access - You have the right to obtain confirmation that your data is being processed and access to your personal data. You can make a request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or in writing to Customer Service Team, 16-18 Hatton Garden, Farringdon, EC1N 8AT.
In most cases we will provide a copy of the information free of charge. However, we may charge a reasonable administration fee when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive or to comply with requests for further copies of the same information although this does not mean that we will charge for all subsequent access requests.
We must without delay and in any event within 1 month of your request (subject to extensions in some cases):
- •confirm what personal data we hold about you;
- •provide a copy of the data in commonly used electronic form; and
- •provide any supporting explanatory materials.
We can extend the time to respond by a further two months where requests are complex or numerous. If this is the case, we will inform you of this within one month of the receipt of the request and explain why the extension is necessary.
Where requests are obviously unfounded or excessive we can refuse to respond. In such cases, we will, within one month, explain why and will inform you of your right to complain to our Supervisory Authority and to pursue a legal remedy.
Data portability – In addition to your access right you can require us to provide a copy of your information that we hold in a commonly used machine-readable format
Rights of Correction and Erasure (“right to be forgotten”) – You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
Processing for marketing purposes - You may object, at any time, to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes. When you register and every time we get in touch with you, we will offer you the opportunity to opt-out of any service to which you have subscribed. Any e-mail we send you will contain an easy automated opt-out.
Service emails: if you sign up to a promotion or competition that requires an email to complete your journey, or service you with a code or confirmation, we will email you this even if you have opted out of marketing. This is the only email you will receive.
Processing for our legitimate interest - You can object to any processing which is for our legitimate interests or those of a third party in which case, the processing must stop, unless there are compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your rights, or where the processing is necessary in relation to legal action.
You can raise an objection, withdraw consent or restrict processing by email to email@example.com, or in writing to Customer Service Team, 16-18 Hatton Garden, Farringdon, EC1N 8AT.
Right to Complain - If you have any concerns with how we keep and use your information please contact our Data Protection Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in writing to Customer Service Team, 16-18 Hatton Garden, Farringdon, EC1N 8AT. You may also complain to our Supervisory Authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office by using their livechat service via their website at https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/live-chat or by phone on 0303 123 1113 or, where different, the Supervisory Authority where your data has been processed. We will advise you of this where appropriate.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
List of cookies we collect
The table below lists the cookies we collect and what information they store.
|COOKIE name||COOKIE Description|
|CART||The association with your shopping cart.|
|CATEGORY_INFO||Stores the category info on the page, that allows to display pages more quickly.|
|COMPARE||The items that you have in the Compare Products list.|
|CURRENCY||Your preferred currency|
|CUSTOMER||An encrypted version of your customer id with the store.|
|CUSTOMER_AUTH||An indicator if you are currently logged into the store.|
|CUSTOMER_INFO||An encrypted version of the customer group you belong to.|
|CUSTOMER_SEGMENT_IDS||Stores the Customer Segment ID|
|EXTERNAL_NO_CACHE||A flag, which indicates whether caching is disabled or not.|
|FRONTEND||Your sesssion ID on the server.|
|GUEST.ID||Twitter cookie created by the widget on the home page or any content page that uses it, expires two years after creation.|
|GUEST-VIEW||Allows guests to edit their orders.|
|LAST_CATEGORY||The last category you visited.|
|LAST_PRODUCT||The most recent product you have viewed.|
|NEWMESSAGE||Indicates whether a new message has been received.|
|NO_CACHE||Indicates whether it is allowed to use cache.|
|PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART||A link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site.|
|POLL||The ID of any polls you have recently voted in.|
|POLLN||Information on what polls you have voted on.|
|PREF||Stores You Tube user preferences|
|RECENTLYCOMPARED||The items that you have recently compared.|
|STF||Information on products you have emailed to friends.|
|STID||The Tweet, Facebook share and Google share component used on the product detail page and could also be present on a content page.|
|STORE||The store view or language you have selected.|
|UID||Scorecard Research uses the combination of tagging and cookies to help websites count users who have visited and seen a page or various parts of a page.|
|UIDR||The Tweet, Facebook share and Google share component used on the product detail page and could also be present on a content page.|
|USET||ShareThis: Collect information such as general click stream behaviour such as web pages viewed (including the URL addresses of such pages.|
|_UTMA||Google Analytics - stores number user's visits and time of first visit, previous visit and current visit.|
|_UTMB||Google Analytics - used to check approximately how long you stay on a site: when a visit starts and approximately when it ends.|
|_UTMZ||Google Analytics - stores where a visitor came from (search engine, search keyword, link).|
|VIEWED_PRODUCT_IDS||The products that you have recently viewed.|
|VISITOR_INFO_LIVE||Tracks visitors Views of You Tube videos embedded in SiS pages.|
|WISHLIST||An encrypted list of products added to your Wishlist.|
|WISHLIST_CNT||The number of items in your Wishlist.|