Careers | Multi Skilled Maintenance Engineer
Science in Sport plc is a leading sports nutrition business that develops, manufactures and markets innovative nutrition products for professional athletes, sports and fitness enthusiasts and the gym lifestyle community. The Company has two highly regarded brands: PhD Nutrition, a premium active-nutrition brand targeting the gym lifestyle community, and SiS, a leading endurance nutrition brand among elite athletes and professional sports teams.
Major investors include Aviva, AXA Framlington, Schroders, J.O. Hambro and Otus Capital, together with a range of institutional investors.
The two brands are sold internationally through our own phd.com and scienceinsport.com digital platform, together with third-party online sites including Amazon and Tmall. The business is currently rolling out in Asian markets and intends to launch in India and the Middle East during 2021. Our US business is growing strongly.
We have extensive retail distribution in the UK and internationally, including major supermarkets, high street chains and specialist sports retailers.
This omnichannel footprint enables the Company to address the full breadth of the sports nutrition market currently estimated at approximately £11 billion worldwide.
PhD is one of the UK's leading active nutrition brands with a reputation for high quality and product innovation. The brand has grown rapidly, based on its core protein powders, since its launch in 2005. The range now comprises powders, bars and supplements including the high protein, low sugar range, PhD Smart. PhD brand ambassadors include leading fitness influencers Ross Edgley and Obi Vincent. The PhD brand is an official partner to the Tough Mudder Challenge and Race Series.
SiS, founded in 1992, has a core range comprising gels, powders and bars focused on energy, hydration and recovery. SiS is the official sports nutrition supplier to many professional teams and organisations including INEOS Grenadiers Cycling Team, Team INEOS UK (America's Cup Team) and Manchester United Football Club. SiS supplies more than 150 professional football clubs in the UK, Europe and USA, and is Performance Research Partner to the English Football Association.
Science in Sport is headquartered in London. Its shares joined the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange in August 2013 and trade under the ticker symbol SIS.
Work as part of a small team to undertake planned electrical and mechanical maintenance and repair of plant and machinery, respond promptly to machinery breakdowns, electrical testing in compliance with electrical regulations, maintain and test site electrical and mechanical facilities and infrastructure. Manage spares inventory, purchasing of spares. Liaise with contractors. Provide support to manufacturing processes and process operators, compliance to health and safety requirements and food safety/quality. Carry out day to day duties of Engineering Manager in their absence.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Ensure full compliance with Company Quality, Food Safety, Health & Safety and Environmental policies.
- Manage workload through use of CMMS. Carry out corrective & preventative maintenance in line with prescribed work schedules.
- Assist Engineering Manager in an autonomous maintenance programme, carrying out routine and planned maintenance in line with this.
- Carry out site inspections in line with compliance requirements.
- Carry out mechanical and electrical installations.
- Timely response to equipment breakdowns. Use of own initiative to promptly diagnose and solve mechanical and electrical faults. Identify root cause solutions.
- Cross functional collaboration to continuously improve operating practices.
- Mentorship, coaching, and team building for peers and junior personnel.
- Work closely with the production teams to enable timely start-up and operation of assets.
- Manage minor projects, support major projects.
- Maintain spare parts stocks, order components and consumable when minimum stock levels reached.
- Provide training and awareness to other staff as required.
- Maintain and develop relationships with contractors, technical consultants and suppliers.
- Manage own workload with minimum supervision.
- Work safely, complying with Health and Safety regulations.
- Keep updated on any regulations governing work done.
- Deputise Manager in absence.
Experience and Skillset
- C&G Level 3 or NVQ 3 in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 5 years’ experience working as a Multi-Skilled Maintenance Engineer within an FMCG environment.
- HACCP certified.
- IOSH managing safely certified.
- Strong electrical and mechanical fault-finding ability.
- Experience with process controls, pneumatics, hydraulics, steam.
- Solid grounding in food handling safe practices. Food Safety Lv2 or above is preferred.
- Good team player, with the ability work on own initiative.
- Ability to work safely, hygienically, and independently.
- Apt at interpreting schematic diagrams and machine drawings.
- Computer literate, experience with CMMS.
- A flexible and open-minded approach to work.
- Ability to work quickly & under pressure.
- Drive for personal development, keen to learn new skills.